The new Dietary Guidelines are out, and there’s a new category specifically devoted to children from birth through to 24 months. In this week’s episode, Dr. Sharon Donovan joins me to talk about these new Dietary Guidelines for infants and toddlers.
The primary function of The Dietary Guidelines for Americans is to be a cornerstone of federal nutrition programs. They are a resource for healthcare providers but individuals and families can use this information to ensure they meet their nutritional requirements at every stage of life.
Dr. Sharon Donovan is a Dietitian, Researcher, and a Member of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans Advisory Committee (DGAC). She is widely recognized as a prolific researcher in the area of pediatric nutrition, so it was no surprise that she was invited to be part of the 2020 committee.
Join us this week and learn how the Dietary Guidelines fit in as a public health recommendation and how we can translate those into our day-to-day living.
We learn why the B-24 category was added to the Dietary Guidelines and how to use them to set your children off on the right foot nutritionally.
Those first 1,000 days of a child’s life are critical; babies and young toddlers are rapidly growing and developing. It is imperative that we’re meeting those nutrient needs.
[Download my FREE resource 4 Mealtime Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make. It includes 4 common feeding mistakes and includes positive ways to motivate your child to eat well!]
What You’ll Learn About the Dietary Guidelines for Infants and Toddlers:
- How the Dietary Guidelines are created.
- 3 potential dietary patterns for babies and toddlers as created by the DGA.
- Why breastfeeding is so beneficial to infants.
- The effects a vegan diet can have upon infants.
- When parents might want to introduce potential allergens into a child’s diet.
- What nutrients parents should be thinking about when feeding children from birth – 24 months.
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- Dr. Sharon Donovan: Email
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram
- Subscribe to this show
- If you’ve got a topic you’d like me to discuss on the show this year, please let me know!
- The Nourished Child Parent Education Website
- My new book! The Smart Mom’s Guide to Healthy Snacking: How to Raise a Smart Snacker from Tot to Teen
- The Smart Mom’s Guide to Starting Solids: How to Introduce, Advance, and Nourish Your Baby with First Foods (& Avoid the Most Common Mistakes)
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- TNC 129: A Good Time to Be Born with Perri Klass
- TNC 121: Early Child Nutrition with Kelli Hawthorne
- TNC 120: How to Have a Healthy Pregnancy with Elizabeth Ward