As many of us await vaccinations for COVID-19, it might feel funny to look back at all the progress that has been made in child health. But there has been a lot. Today, we’re discussing how far we’ve come in making kids healthier and increasing child survival.
It has stopped being a common thing to lose a child. As a society, we have gone from accepting child death as the norm to the mindset that child death is not acceptable. Today’s guest joins me to discuss the advancements we’ve made over the last century.
Dr. Perri Klass is a Professor of Journalism and Pediatrics at New York University and is the Co-Director of NYU Florence. She has written extensively about children, medicine, literacy, and her new book ‘A Good Time to Be Born: How Science and Public Health Gave Children a Future‘ is an account of how victories over infant and child mortality have changed the world.
Join us this week as we discuss why even just a century ago, large numbers of children were dying and how this has changed in the present day. We discuss why nowadays is a good time to be born for children, and how far we have come as a species.
We have made astonishing advancements to decrease the volume of childhood death over the course of the 20th century, and a large volume of children’s lives have been saved. It’s important to recognize that.
[Download my FREE resource 4 Mealtime Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make. It includes 4 common feeding mistakes and includes positive ways to motivate your child to eat well!]
What You’ll Learn About Why It’s a Good Time to Be Born for Children:
- What we can learn from the pandemic related to children’s mortality.
- Some major accomplishments in healthcare and public policy for where our children’s health is today.
- The importance of giving your child autonomy.
- Why parents feel such a burden to protect their children.
- The scientific and medical advancements made over the last century.
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram
- Subscribe to this show
- If you’ve got somebody you think I should invite onto the show this year, please let me know!
- The Nourished Child Parent Education Website
- My new book! The Smart Mom’s Guide to Healthy Snacking: How to Raise a Smart Snacker from Tot to Teen
- New York Times column, The Check Up
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Toxins in Baby Food: What Parents Can Do
- Perri Klass: Books | Website | Twitter | Email