So much has changed in the world of pregnancy nutrition since I was pregnant over 20 years ago – from the best pregnancy diet to understanding the connection between infant mortality, health, and adult disease. There’s so much to know and a lot at stake.
I’ve invited Registered Dietitian Liz Ward on the show this week to share her experience and expertise in the area of the pregnancy diet and general health during pregnancy.
Liz Ward is a Registered Dietitian, Writer, Nutrition Consultant, and mother of three. She’s a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and a media personality for several outlets and joins me today to discuss the importance of health before, during, and after pregnancy."Women having children should embrace what we know and not worry about what we didn’t do." ~ @EWardRD Click To Tweet
Join us on the podcast this week to learn how a mom’s health and what goes on during pregnancy has been linked to chronic health issues for the child further down the line. We’ll discuss how attitudes towards pregnancy have changed over the decades and what nutrients expectant mothers should be taking to help ensure a successful pregnancy.
We have so much more evidence for what is optimal for both mom and baby. We have to go with what the science says now, and not worry about what things were like before.
What You’ll Learn about the Pregnancy Diet:
- The importance of a healthy diet during pregnancy.
- How supplements and nutrients work together.
- What nutrients and supplements expectant mothers should be taking to ensure a successful pregnancy.
- Why seeing a dietitian during pregnancy is helpful.
- The danger of a ‘bump only’ pregnancy.
- How attitudes towards pregnancy have changed over the decades.
- The top nutrition concerns for moms to think about during pregnancy.
- How food-insecure expectant moms can get more help.
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Join The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- Food Insecurity in the US by the Numbers
- Malnutrition in Pregnant Women Study
- The Smart Mom’s Guide to Starting Solids
- Sign up for Jill’s free training: Dodge the Most Common Nutrition Mistakes in Kids with ADHD
- Want to be part of Team Smart Mom? Contact Jill!
- Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Pregnancy and Beyond
- Liz Ward: Facebook / Instagram / Blog / Twitter / Website
- Expect the Best: Your Guide to Healthy Eating Before, During, and After Pregnancy by Elizabeth M. Ward MS RD
- The Menopause Diet Plan: A Natural Guide to Managing Hormones, Health, and Happiness by Hillary Wright M.Ed. RDN and Elizabeth M. Ward M.S. R.D