Ignore It! with Catherine Pearlman
August 15, 2019
Every kid acts out sometimes, which can make it even more frustrating than usual to guide them on a path of healthy development. It is a difficult skill to learn as a parent to not get irritated with them and be understanding, but sometimes we need to look the other way and simply ignore it (the attention-seeking actions that is).
On today’s show, I’m talking to Catherine Pearlman, a clinical social worker and author of a wonderful book, Ignore It! We talk about how children view rewards (both positive and negative, material and non-material) and the structures behind habit formation.
By ignoring the ways children test the boundaries of what is allowed or will be rewarded, you can see remarkable positive behavior shifts in your kids.
Feeding your kids is a major part of parenting, so creating a healthy social setting for your kids to eat in is also something we’ll be tackling today. Listen in for an amazing conversation on how we can be better parents and raise naturally better-behaved children!“Parents know that, no matter how much [kids] have tantrums, they are not going to allow it. And this makes the [child] very angry, so when they realize they won’t get what they want, they can get mom/dad angry, and that’s the reward.” Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn About Ignore It!
- Why children whine or misbehave and how that creates habits.
- How your own upbringing impacts your parenting style with your kids.
- When we should ignore our children’s bad table manners and when we should address them.
- Ways to empower yourself as a parent and not reward bad behavior while rewarding good behavior.
- A three-step approach to address subjects of tantrums without rewarding bad behaviors.
- What behaviors we shouldn’t ignore and what they might mean.
Listen to Ignore It!:
Featured on Ignore It! :
- Join The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- Healthy Diet for Kids with ADHD
- Catherine’s Website, The Family Coach
- The Family Coach Facebook
- Catherine’s Book: “Ignore It!”
- Finding a Nutrition Professional
- TNC 073: Quality Carbs, Fat & Optimal Weight
- The Nourished Child Project
- Food Restriction: What it Really Does to Kids
- Family-Style Meals
- The 90-10 Rule for Managing Treats
- TNC 086: The Science of Emotions and Eating with Melanie Smith
- TNC 076: 10 Things I’ve Learned from Nourishing Four Kids
- TNC 070: How to Feed Children of Divorce
- TNC 061: Feeding Rules That Help Kids Eat Better
- TNC 010: How Play Therapy Helps Your Child
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!