Dairy Farming, School Wellness & Motherhood with Bet Howrigan
September 26, 2019
This episode was created in partnership with the dairy farm families of New England. I was compensated for this episode and, as always, all opinions are my own.
Have you ever visited a dairy farm? Do you have questions about how milk is produced and the steps to getting it to the store? I’ve got dairy farmer and teacher, Bet Howrigan, on the show to answer all your questions!
A common area of nutrition confusion is whether or not to include dairy to our family’s diet. Let’s be real: There is a lot of misinformation out there about the nutritional benefits of milk and other dairy-based products.
To answer these questions, who better to talk to then a dairy farmer?
Our guest today, Bet Howrigan, lives on a dairy farm, and is also a school teacher. She talks about the dairy production process, the nutritional value of milk, debunks myths, and highlights school wellness opportunities.
Bet has balanced a career, motherhood, and running a farm for over thirty years and she brings a lot of wisdom to this topic. (Plus she talks about running a family business which is fascinating!)
Join my conversation with Bet as she talks about the life of a dairy farmer and school teacher. Come learn what happens on a dairy farm and how you can bring Fuel Up to Play 60 and other wellness programs into your school.“We have to make sure that we are taking care of the whole child, inside and outside; finding what they like and bringing it to them.” -Bet Howrigan Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn About Life on a Dairy Farm:
- How Bet finds the balance between her career, dairy farm and being a mother while not overwhelming herself
- What considerations have to go into running a dairy farm and what that means for a growing family
- The importance of incorporating milk into your family’s diet and how you can encourage kids to drink milk in schools
- What Fuel Up to Play 60 is and how you can introduce it to your school community
- How you can foster programs in your schools and communities that will promote the wellness of the whole child
- Why it is so important to support local, small dairy farmers and how you can reach your local farmer
Listen to the Show:
Featured on this Episode:
- Join The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- Send Bet an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find the Howrigan Farm on Facebook
- Whole Milk: The Lowdown on Full Fat Milk
- Is Milk Healthy?
- TNC 085: Training for the Olympics and for Life with Gevvie Stone
For information about the dairy farm families of New England, school nutrition, and health and wellness topics, please visit New England Dairy & Food Council and Must Be the Milk.
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!