Body Image Issues in Boys
May 26, 2022
Dr. Charlotte Markey is back to talk about her new book, Being You: The Body Image Book for Boys! Her book focuses on developing a positive body image for boys aged 12 and above.
Dr. Markey is a professor of psychology and director of the Health Sciences Center at Rutgers University. Her main research interest is social influences on eating-related behaviors such as body image and attempts at weight loss.
In our conversation, she emphasizes about 90 percent of our body shape and size is hereditary. A considerable element of consumerism results in people holding themselves to unattainable standards for their bodies.
She describes the concept of body neutrality and how it can be a stepping stone towards acceptance or a more positive body image.
Boys spending lots of time in the shower or bathroom is likely a manifestation of their “adaptive appearance investment.” Parents should ensure that their kids not make investments in their appearance that will permanently alter them in one way or another.
Dr. Markey shares tips on what parents can do to help ward off their boys’ body image issues or problems. These include keeping an eye on their kids, especially regarding poor body image extending to eating disorders and mental health problems.
Download my FREE resource How to Nourish a Healthy Child! This checklist is designed to give you a clear path and the steps you need to take to raise a nourished child, inside and out.
What You’ll Learn About Body Image Issues in Boys
- Boys’ dissatisfaction with their body
- How social media and societal norms affect perceptions of body image
- Heritability of body size, shape, and height
- Indications or hints toward body dissatisfaction in boys
- How body neutrality can be tied to body confidence or satisfaction
- How helpful or detrimental is “adaptive appearance investment”
- Supplements and the protein myth
- Modeling and talking about masculinity
- Being careful in talking about appearance culture
- Developing a healthy relationship with food, physical activity, and mental health
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
This episode was sponsored by KiwiCo. Use code NOURISHED for 30% off your first month.
- Subscribe to this show
- TNC 122: The Body Image Book for Girls with Charlotte Markey
- TNC 103: Puberty, Body Dissatisfaction and Girls
- TNC 094: Body Kindness for Kids
- Body Image: How to Prevent Issues in Kids
- Delayed Puberty: Should You Worry About the Late Bloomer?
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Sign up for The Munch Weekly Newsletter
- The Shop on The Nourished Child
Watch us on YouTube!
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode – follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!