Does sending home BMI report cards to parents actually help? Does it lead to a reduction in obesity?
About 40% of children in the US live in states where school messages about body mass index are routinely sent, either as a public education best practice or mandated by law. Today we’re talking about whether measuring a child’s weight in school actually helps them.
Dr. Kristine Madsen is an associate professor at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health, and the Faculty Director for the Berkeley Food Institute. She’s a pediatrician and research scientist and she joins me today to talk about the findings of a study she recently conducted on the effect of school-based body mass index reporting in California public schools.
Join us this week as we discuss the reasons our kids’ BMI is measured in schools, the effects of doing so, and whether BMI reporting in schools is harmful to children. We discuss what we can do as parents to keep our kids healthy, and how we can work with schools to have a better discussion about weight, health, and food.
This is a hot topic right now. We need to work together to protect our children and make sure that we are creating the very best environment for them to thrive in.“If you’re not starting with a level playing field, not everybody can get to the same place. Sometimes that playing field is genetics. If you’re giving the same message to a kid who’s born skinny & one who’s destined to become heavy, that’s… Click To Tweet
[Download my FREE resource 4 Mealtime Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make. It includes 4 common feeding mistakes and includes positive ways to motivate your child to eat well!]
What You’ll Learn About BMI Reporting in Schools:
- How to make sure our kids are healthy long-term.
- What changes should be made to BMI reporting in schools.
- Some effective ways to measure kids’ health and fitness.
- Why there are issues with using the term ‘obesity’.
- Some effects that BMI report cards have upon kids.
- What we know about health disparities in children.
- How schools can do more to help kids’ health and fitness.
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram
- Subscribe to this show
- If you’ve got somebody you think I should invite onto the show this year, please let me know!
- The Nourished Child Parent Education Website
- My new book! The Smart Mom’s Guide to Healthy Snacking: How to Raise a Smart Snacker from Tot to Teen
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Effect of School-Based Body Mass Index Reporting in California Schools
- TNC 108: The Toll of Teen Obesity
- Kristine Madsen: The FIT Study Website | Berkeley Profile