School Nutrition Today with Donna Martin
August 17, 2017
I’m so excited to have Donna Martin, RD on the show today to talk about school nutrition today.
She is the School Nutrition Director for the Burke County School system in Waynesboro, GA and also the President of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics for the present year (2017-2018).
Donna and I talk about school food, breaking down the basics around the school lunch program, the strengths of the program, where we’ve been, how far we’ve come, and where the school food program is headed, as well as the daily challenges of being a school nutrition director, her career and more.
What You Will Learn About School Nutrition
- The story of school lunch and how it has evolved over time
- The reasons it is important for kids
- The nutrition guidelines schools pay attention to when planning meals
- The financials of school lunch – pay, reduced, free –and who qualifies for what
- The successes and failures
- Special successes in school nutrition for athletes
- Ways to build student autonomy with food choice and eating
- Advice for families who are starting the school year
- How to help children choose and eat a healthy lunch at school
What We Discuss about School Nutrition
- Donna’s background and how she got involved in school nutrition
- The specific guidelines for sodium, vegetables, calories, milk, whole grains and desserts
- Budget constraints with running a school program
- Federal government subsidies for school programs
- Speed scratch cooking
- The Supper Program, Breakfast in the Classroom, and rollbacks in school
- 3 tips for helping kids start school
- Silent lunchrooms and community eligibility
- Stigma and school lunch — is it better or worse?
- What the future of school nutrition holds and how you can get involved
Links I Mention in the Show
Episode # 007 How to Help Your Child Eat a Healthy School Lunch
How to Teach and Train Your Child to Make Healthy Choices
25 Shelf-Stable, Food Allergy Friendly Snacks for School
A Guide to Independent School Lunch Packing for Kids (+ FREE Step-by-Step System)
Bringing Lunch for School
Burke County Public Schools Nutrition (website)
Donna on Facebook: DonnaSMartin
Donna on Twitter: @DonnaMartinRD
Help The Nourished Child Grow!
If you do nothing else…please consider writing a review on iTunes! Writing a review is the single most impactful thing you can do to bring this show in front of others.
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, on Android, Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above).
Tune in to the POD Network, or download the FREE app. Parents on Demand (POD) is a network of parenting podcasts. When you download the app, you’ll get an array of high quality parenting podcasts right on your phone, updated automatically.
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram—where ever you hang out.
P.S. Join my community over on Facebook: facebook.com/TheNourishedChild page!