Food Rewards for Kids
Food rewards are one way to get kids to eat nutritious foods or a certain amount of food. But is using palatable foods a good way to incentivize children to eat? Researchers have studied their impact on children’s eating, food preferences, and relationship with food and I cover it in this episode.
What You Will Learn
- What constitutes a food reward
- Why they are used
- What is the impact on eating habits
- How do food rewards change food preferences
- How incentivizing with food can lead to overeating
- Why a nutritious diet is at risk when parents use food as reward
- Why other non-food rewards can be beneficial
What I Cover in This Episode
- Examples of food rewards
- Scenarios when they might be used
- How they impact later adult eating behaviors
- How they encourage favorability for palatable foods
- How they can interfere with eating regulation
- How to use non-food rewards
Links I Mentioned in the Show
Help The Nourished Child Grow!
Write a review on iTunes. When you write a review it means that iTunes will take notice and make this podcast easier for other parents and childcare takers to find the show!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, on Android, Stitcher radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above)
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram—where ever you hang out.
Sign up for my newsletter to stay in the know for future classes and opportunities to work with me!
Are you a parent who loves to listen to podcasts and learn? Parents on Demand is the first podcast network for parents! Visit the website, or download the app to get parenting podcasts streamed directly to your phone.