Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Loaf
May 3, 2017
A strawberry rhubarb loaf recipe that will tempt any palate. Perfect to make in the spring and early summer when strawberries and rhubarb are in season.
Finally, the winter months are behind us — or so the calendar says. Mitts and hats have been put away, but some days we still need them. I can make one of my favorite sweet breads: Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Loaf.
The season of local Farmers Markets is almost upon us and thinking about the bounty of local produce is so exciting.
One of our family favorites is rhubarb, I found some at a local market while out for a walk with my daughter and I immediately knew that it would soon be finding its way into numerous recipes.
What is Rhubarb?
Rhubarb is an interesting food; it looks very similar to celery but is bright ruby red in color. It is available April through June.
The season is fairly short, so it’s nice to find creative ways to use it in the kitchen. Rhubarb is often used in sweet dishes however can be used in savory dishes too.
It has a very tart flavor which often needs to be paired with sweeter flavors, such as strawberries or apples to help take the tartness down a notch or two.
Rhubarb is a great source of fiber and contains calcium, potassium and vitamin C.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Recipe
In this strawberry rhubarb recipe, the strawberries lend a bit of sweetness to the loaf, helping to cut the tart flavor of the rhubarb.
Using whole wheat flour, fruit, very little sugar and oil, this recipe is great for breakfast and snacks. I use brown sugar in this recipe which tends to taste a bit sweeter than white granulated sugar allowing you to use a bit less in a recipe.
Using whole wheat flour brings the fiber content of this loaf up a bit, helping it to have a bit more staying power, so it might keep you feeling fuller longer.
Our favorite way to eat this loaf is smothered with peanut or almond butter. Make this into a complete meal by serving it with plain Greek yogurt topped with sliced banana and berries.
This is a simple and tasty way to celebrate the start of Spring!
Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Loaf
A favorite sweet bread combining springtime seasonal fruits and vegetables: strawberry and rhubarb.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rhubarb, strings removed and chopped into ¼ “ pieces
- ½ cup strawberries, cut into ¼” pieces
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400F, a higher temperature to start will allow the loaf to rise
- Grease or line a loaf pan, 8.5x4.5x2.5 and set aside
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, almond meal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, making sure that all ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients, eggs, vegetable oil, milk and almond extract
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and combine. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add in the strawberries and rhubarb and fold in gently.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes then decrease heat to 350F for an additional 45-50 minutes. Be sure to check on your loaf and test with a baking tester to ensure it comes out clean
- Allow loaf to cool on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before turning
Great for breakfast or a snack! Spread peanut or almond butter on top!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 300mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
This is an estimation of nutritional content.
Want More Family Meal Ideas?
Check out my recipe booklets!