Do you ever wonder if you’re raising a mindful eater? One who pays attention to the food she eats (rather than shoveling it in), who enjoys the experience of eating, and who knows when to eat and when to stop?
Kids experience distraction, external pressures to eat more (or less), and are even the subject of parent fears surrounding eating certain foods or eating too much, and as such, it’s easy for them to fall down the rabbit hole of mindless eating.
In this episode, I chat with Maryann Jacobsen, MS, RD and author of the book, How to Raise a Mindful Eater. She gives us tools and tips for raising a mindful eater in a world that tends to be mindless when it comes to eating.
What You Will Learn about Mindful Eating:
- The difference between a Food Framework and a Mindful Framework
- Maryann’s definition of a mindful eater
- The 8 basic principles of raising a mindful eater
- How to encourage your child to eat with an internal approach
- How to set up a structure with eating
- Why enjoyment of eating is as important as nutritional intake
- How to role model mindful eating to your kids
- Why it’s important to incorporate healthy habits as a family
- Preparing kids for what lies ahead with eating, regulation, and choices
What We Discuss about Mindful Eating:
- Letting hunger and fullness guide eating
- How to neutralize the power of goodies
- Keeping pleasure at the center of the table
- How stress influences eating
- Why connection with your kids is important to mindfulness
- Why average weight kids might not be regulating their intake
- How to let natural consequences occur
- Why kids need to find their hook for healthy eating vs. food enjoyment
- Eating what you want while also considering health
- Dieting versus willpower
- Tuning in to the feelings created by eating food
Links I Mentioned in the Show:
- Maryann’s website
- Join her newsletter!
- Her books (all available on Amazon):
- From Picky to Powerful (available in print and e-book)
- What to Cook for Dinner with Kids
- Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School
- The Healthy Mindset, her new podcast, focusing on how we think about what we do
Help The Nourished Child Grow!
Write a review in iTunes.
Subscribe to the show in iTunes, on Android, Stitcher Radio, Google Play Music, Tuned In and more (links above)
Share the podcast on social media—Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest, Instagram–or where ever you hang out.
Don’t miss a thing! Join my weekly newsletter to get my sanity-saving, practical advice for nourishing kids of all ages (plus FREE cheat sheets, check lists, and guides…and more!).