Giving a child a choice about what they want to eat can generate a healthy interest in food from a young age that lasts into adulthood, but can it have a negative impact? Well today, I’m talking about when these kinds of open-ended questions around food become unhelpful.
What do you want to eat? On the show this week, I’m talking about how your child processes this question, how it serves them, how it does not, and what alternatives there are to such open-ended questions.“When did we, as parents, decide it was a good idea to let our kids make the main food decisions, or to even make food decisions at all?” Click To Tweet
I have recently been engaged in some conversations about a previous episode – The Number One Way to Stop Picky Eating: Don’t Ask! It became clear from the mixed reactions that not every family has the same experience when trying to curb this behavior. I hope this episode sheds some extra light on this subject and helps ease some of the difficulty around meal times – which can be stressful enough as it is.
Want to nourish your child’s brain and body? Learn what and how to feed your child with ADHD child so you can promote the behavior, attention, and growth your child needs for optimal learning and daily functioning.
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why open-ended questions can be helpful.
- 4 reasons for open-ended questions becoming an issue.
- Why our kid’s food opinions are not well-informed, no matter how indignant they are.
- How picky eaters actually become bored with food.
- What long-term disagreements these open-ended questions can lead to.
- Why it is not your place to compromise around mealtimes.
- How to deal directly with picky eaters without open-ended questions.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- The ADHD Diet for Kids
- New York Times article – The Power of Positive People
- My guest appearance on the One Bad Mother podcast
- The Number One Way to Stop Picky Eating: Don’t Ask!
- TNC 013: Beat the Short-Order Cook Syndrome
- TNC 053: Healthy Meal Planning Tips with Jessica Levinson
- TNC 061: Feeding Rule that Help Kids Eat Better (close the kitchen)
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at email@example.com
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!