The seeds of many of the health problems that occur in this country are sown from a young age, often the result of a lack of information. If there’s one thing I have learned in my years as a pediatric dietitian, it’s that parents don’t get important nutritional information early or often enough.
If we want our kids to have a healthy relationship with food and their bodies, we need to start with the very basics. A great place to start is with food rules.
This week on the podcast, we’re talking about implementing feeding rules to set your kids up in making positive food decisions that will hopefully stay with them for life.
I’m sharing the five feeding rules that I use with my clients and in my own home and I break them down so anyone can follow them. I also end the episode with one slightly more unconventional rule I want you to consider.
“Children need a reminder of who’s in charge. When kids are running the roost, feeding almost always gets off track; eating can be all over the place, poor food choices are made and both of these are a recipe for poor nutrition or… Click To Tweet
You may think that because I’m a nutrition professional all of this is second nature. However, in truth, a lot of these rules take real effort to implement and maintain.
Tune into this episode for a helping hand in understanding the challenges of staying in the role of nutrition leader in your family.
Want to nourish your child’s brain and body? Learn what and how to feed your ADHD child so you can promote the behavior, attention, and growth your child needs for optimal learning and daily functioning. The ADHD program is open – watch this free webinar!
What You’ll Learn about Feeding Rules:
- 3 absolute requirements for feeding your child well.
- Why flexibility helps when dealing with food boundaries.
- 5 feeding rules that help kids eat better.
- How the concept of a closed kitchen will support your child’s rhythmic appetite.
- Why even the simplest feeding rules can make a huge difference.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- The ADHD Diet for Kids
- My TEDx talk
- TNC 060: How to Heal Your Relationship with Food, Body, and Self with Heidi Schauster
- “The Kitchen is Closed”
- 52 Week Meal Planner by Jessica Levinson
- Overcome the Short Order Cook Syndrome (Article + Free Guide)
- Ellyn Satter’s Division of Responsibility
- My programs
- My E-books
- My blog
- Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual by Michael Pollan
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!