As children head back to school, the issue of nutrition, meals, and food access is hard to ignore, especially for those who are food insecure. How are school nutrition programs stepping up to the pandemic?
How will kids eat at school? What has been the effect on kids with food insecurity? And an important question as we move forward – what does the future of school nutrition look like?
This week’s guest is dedicated to making school environments healthy for students and staff, both during and following the pandemic, and joins me to share both the challenging and positive ways the pandemic has impacted school nutrition programs.
Dayle Hayes is an award-winning author, educator, registered dietitian, and school nutrition champion. She is passionate about making sure that children are sufficiently nourished and hopes to, one day, see a move towards universal free meals for children at school.
She joins me this week to share her experiences of how schools stepped up during the pandemic and provide a wealth of knowledge, information, and insight into this topic."COVID has expanded the number of families, and family situations, that rely on school meals to nourish their children" ~ Dayle Hayes, RD Click To Tweet
Tune in this week to learn about the various nutrition programs that have been put in place to help families throughout the pandemic and ensure that children have been nourished and fed. We’ll discuss how the appreciation for school nutrition services has increased, and consider the safety precautions of feeding children at school moving forwards.
Children need nourishment to learn well. Feeding children is an essential part of how we’re going to move forward in terms of education and health in the future. Join us for this interesting discussion!
[Download my FREE checklist How to Nourish a Healthy Child. It outlines the key nutrition, feeding and healthy habits every child needs to grow up healthy!]
What You’ll Learn about School Nutrition Programs:
- How school nutrition programs stepped up to the pandemic and the resourcefulness of school nutrition staff.
- How COVID-19 impacts children with food insecurity through the school system.
- The safety precautions of feeding children at school.
- How to handle the lunchroom.
- How school nutrition may evolve in the future.
- The challenges faced by school nutrition teams throughout the pandemic.
- How families can nourish their children whether they go back to school or stay at home.
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Join The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- School Meals That Rock: Website | Facebook |Instagram | Twitter
- USDA Extends Free Meals for Kids through December 31, 2020
- Ep #111: Understanding Climate Change & Greenhouse Gases with Frank Mitloehner
- Ep #106: Child Food Insecurity with Alexis Glick
- Ep #24: Affordable Food with Clancy Harrison
- Ep #38: School Nutrition Today with Donna Martin