It can be hard to come up with the perfect response to a picky, complaining, or extra-hungry eater on the spot. What do you say when a child is complaining about what you’ve made?
Or the opposite — if they’re trying to snatch up their favorite food before everyone gets a taste?
In these situations, it can be incredibly useful to have a couple of simple, clear statements on hand that express empathy with your child, set firm expectations for their behavior, and allow you to keep a cool head.
On this week’s episode, I’m sharing my three favorite go-to responses that can help calm your picky eater, your complainer, and your food-snatcher.
“No child is born knowing what they should eat. It's your job to serve this up for them so they can see an example. They must learn this over time, and you have plenty of time to teach them.” - Jill Castle Click To Tweet
Before sharing these three statements, I set the stage by talking about your role as a teacher and model for your child of healthy, calm eating habits.
Communication around food with your kids should be simple, free of your own food judgments, and age-appropriate.
This episode might provide the words you need to get mealtime back on track – don’t miss out!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- Why it’s crucial to have an effective response when your children turn up their nose at what’s on the table.
- How to start reflecting on your own beliefs and habits around food so you can better communicate about food with your family.
- How to take some of the pressure off of eating for your kids.
- Why it’s important to express reassurance and empathy to your child alongside expectations for their behavior.
- The three statements I use in my house to calm eaters, and how to practice these statements so they’re ready when you need them.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase using my link, I will receive a small commission to help sustain this website. Thank you!
- Join my The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to my Monday morning newsletter
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- TNC 049: How to Serve Meals Family Style (& Why You Should!)
- TNC 061: Feeding Rules that Help Kids Eat Better
- TNC 043: Feeding Picky Eaters with Natalie Muth, MD, RD
- TNC 044: How to Help Extreme Picky Eaters with Melanie Potock
- Too Much Nutrition Talk at the Table
- Positive Talk with Toddlers about Food
- Try New Food! Help New Eaters, Picky Eaters, Extreme Picky Eaters Taste, Eat, & Like New Foods by Jill Castle
- The Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo
- Fearless Feeding: How to Raise Healthy Eaters from High Chair to High School by Jill Castle and Maryann Jacobsen
- Thrive Mastermind for Pediatric Nutritionists
- The Smart Mom’s Guide to Starting Solids: How to Introduce, Advance and Nourish Your Baby with First Foods (& Avoid the Most Common Mistakes) by Jill Castle
- Maryann Jacobsen | The Healthy Family Podcast
- TNC 026: How to Raise a Mindful Eater with Maryann Jacobsen
- How to Raise a Mindful Eater by Maryann Jacobsen, MS, RD
- Parents On Demand podcast network
- Jill’s Programs
- If you’d like to share your Let’s Get Real story, send me an email at email@example.com
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, subscribe via iTunes, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in iTunes.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!