Johane Filemon, an Atlanta-based dietitian and mom, discusses the history of black women breastfeeding, mothering a family, and how she keeps it all in balance.
Johane M. Filemon, MS, RDN, CLT, shares tips for working mothers who want to breastfeed. She advises on managing the challenges of breastfeeding and working. She also explores black women breastfeeding, their challenges, and how to support them.
There are several reasons why breastfeeding is essential, both for the mother and her child. It can help improve the bond between mother and child, give the child a more robust immune system, and help the mother recover from childbirth. Unfortunately, some women cannot breastfeed because they have to return to work soon after giving birth, making it challenging to find time to pump breast milk or breastfeed.
Johane encourages mothers to find support from others, particularly during their postpartum journey. Getting as much support as possible can help them learn from other people’s journeys without comparing and expecting the same things to occur.
Download my FREE resource Feeding Skills and Food Goals by Age One. This free guide gives you a framework and goals for your baby to achieve by the first year.
What You’ll Learn About Breastfeeding, Mothering, and Work-Life Balance
- Embracing the benefits and joys of breastfeeding
- Variable experiences and challenges black women face in breastfeeding
- Focusing on breastfeeding and consuming nutritious meals
- The immunological protection babies can get from breastfeeding
- Integrating your work life with your mom life
- Being a registered dietitian and nutritionist and the benefits of working from home
- Getting tested for Helicobacter pylori and its causes
- Finding support during your postpartum journey
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Subscribe to this show
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Johane Filemon: Website | Instagram
- Black Mothers Breastfeeding Association
- Black Mom’s break through generational trauma to encourage breastfeeding
- Sign up for my FREE Newsletter, The Munch
- The Shop on The Nourished Child
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- Don’t miss our deep library of podcast episodes focused on child nutrition and feeding kids!