Occupational therapist Lara Dato discusses the sensory system and picky eating, highlighting how food sensory sensitivities affect pickiness.
Occupational therapist Lara Dato, MS OTR/L, SC-FES, explores the causes of picky eating, how to identify food sensory sensitivities, and what parents can do to help their children overcome these challenges. She also shares valuable tips to help your picky eaters become adventurous eaters.
Children who are picky eaters can be challenging for parents who want to ensure their kids get the nutrients they need. Additionally, picky eaters may have food sensory sensitivities that make certain textures, tastes and smells unappealing.
It can be challenging to watch your child eat the same bland foods day after day while everyone else is enjoying a variety of delicious dishes. Whatever the reason for your child’s picky eating, know that you are not alone, and there are ways to overcome it. You can help them become more adventurous and find joy in trying new things with patience and creativity and the correct information and support.
Download my FREE resource Appetite Awareness for Every Stage of Development. This free guide shows how to support babies, toddlers, kids, and teens in developing healthy relationships with food.
What You’ll Learn About Raising Adventurous Eaters with Lara Dato
- Occupational therapy and the specialization of feeding, eating, and swallowing
- Sensory processing as a neurologically based system and how our experiences influence it
- Things to look out for that may point to sensory food sensitivities
- How different senses affect children’s eating
- Why our picky eaters have trouble with fruits and vegetables
- The importance of knowing our children’s preferences and flavor profiles
- Eating as a time for connection with your friends, family, and community
- Why older children are increasingly having difficulty with eating
- Raising Adventurous Eaters: Tips and Tricks to Support your Child’s Eating Development
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Subscribe to this show
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Lara Dato: Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Raising Adventurous Eaters book, Food Characteristic List, and other free worksheets
- Sign up for my FREE Newsletter, The Munch
- The Shop on The Nourished Child
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- Don’t miss our deep library of podcast episodes focused on child nutrition and feeding kids!