Dr. Cara Palmer sheds light on the physical and emotional benefits of sleep for kids.
Dr. Cara Palmer, an assistant professor at Montana State University and the director of the Sleep and Development Lab, discusses the importance of sleep for kids’ overall health and well-being.
Her research focuses on understanding why so many children struggle to get adequate sleep and the consequences of poor sleep. She talks about some common sleep disorders that children experience and the symptoms of disturbed sleep in toddlers, preschoolers, school-age children, and adolescents.
Drawing on her expertise in developmental psychology, clinical child psychology, and behavioral sleep medicine, Dr. Palmer advises parents and pediatric professionals to encourage healthy sleep habits and create a supportive sleeping environment.
A New Book is Coming! Get on the list to be the first to know when! Go to this link https://thenourishedchild.com/size-wise
What You’ll Learn About from Why is Sleep Important for Kids?
- Importance of sleep for the mental health and daily functioning of children and teenagers
- Unpacking the connection and implications of the link between sleep and emotional well-being in kids and teens
- The high prevalence of sleep problems among children and the need for targeted interventions to prevent long-term psychological issues
- Why monitoring children’s sleep patterns is crucial for identifying potential sleep problems
- The link between poor sleep and ADHD-like symptoms in children
- How obstructive sleep apnea affects children’s sleep, behavior, and overall health
- Overcoming common obstacles to quality sleep in children: Practical solutions for parents and caregivers
- The impact of poor sleep on emotional regulation and mental health in children and teenagers
- Why making sleep a priority in families matters and how to achieve it
- Tips for parents to ensure children get enough sleep and seek help for sleep issues when needed
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
- Subscribe to this show
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Dr. Cara Palmer: Website
- AAP resource on Sleep
- Sleep Education
- Sign up for my FREE Newsletter, The Munch
- The Shop on The Nourished Child
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- Don’t miss our deep library of podcast episodes focused on child nutrition and feeding kids!