Angela Grassi, a dietitian and founder of the PCOS Nutrition Center, discusses PCOS in teens, including symptoms and treatment.
Learn the basics of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in teen girls. Angela Grassi, MS, RDN, LDN dispels myths about PCOS and provides practical tips on managing PCOS through lifestyle changes and evidence-based nutrition.
PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder among young women. While the causes of PCOS are not yet determined, genetics and environmental conditions are contributing factors. The cysts in women with PCOS are underdeveloped follicles which are due to hormone imbalances.
Angela advises us on current treatment practices, but says there is a need for more resources to guide parents and teens in further managing the condition. PCOS is a metabolic and hormonal problem, not an eating problem.
Download my FREE resource How to Nourish a Healthy Child! This checklist gives you a clear path and the steps to raise a nourished child, inside and out.
What You’ll Learn About PCOS in Teens
- PCOS as a reproductive and endocrine condition
- The genetic and environmental links of PCOS
- The big red flags parents to look for in their children regarding PCOS
- Outcomes and long-term consequences of living with PCOS
- Nutrition and lifestyle changes as primary treatment approaches
- Differences between being diagnosed with PCOS as an adult versus as a teenager
- The importance of eating a balanced plate in lowering blood sugar levels
- Allowing children to have their freedom with their food choices as well as to trust their bodies
- The role of exercise, physical activity, and sleep in the management of PCOS
- The need to further address the problems associated with PCOS and its management
Listen to the Show:
Featured in this Show:
This show is sponsored by Seed. Use code NOURISHED for 20% off your first month’s supply of Seed’s PDS-08™ Pediatric Daily Synbiotic.
Click Here to check out Seed PDS-08™ Pediatric Daily Synbiotic today!
- Subscribe to this show
- Follow me on Social Media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and see the latest videos
- Angela Grassi: PCOS Nutrition Center | Facebook | Instagram
- Boston Children’s Hospital PCOS Center
- PCOS Challenge
- Sign up for my FREE Newsletter, The Munch
- The Shop on The Nourished Child
Enjoy the Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!
- Don’t miss our deep library of podcast episodes focused on child nutrition and feeding kids!