Food for Baby: Past, Present & Possibilities
February 27, 2020
There are a lot of options available when it comes to feeding your baby, so I thought it would be useful to give you a deep dive into the history of baby food, what’s important to know and think about as you begin the journey of feeding your little ones, and some guidance on your options, from spoon-feeding to baby-led weaning.
As a mother and a pediatric nutritionist, I have a vested interest in giving you the best available information on what to consider when it comes to feeding your kids. The research I’ve done on first-year nutrition was really eye-opening for me and I’m sure, even if you’ve been through it all before, that there’s going to be some newly researched considerations that are worth hearing.
[Download my FREE checklist How to Nourish a Healthy Child. It outlines the key nutrition, feeding and healthy habits every child needs to grow up healthy!]
Join me on the podcast this week as I discuss the history of baby food and provide a little guidance and clarity on why it’s important to start our kids on solid food in their first year of life, the most important nutrients to focus on, and how you can provide those for your baby.The guidelines for starting solids back in the 90s or even prior to that were largely made without any real research or methodology or practical guidelines. They were really made on common sense and what people believed to be best for baby. Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn about Food for Baby:
- The history of how advice has changed around when to start babies on solid food.
- 3 reasons why it’s important to start your child on solid foods in the first year.
- When the first commercial baby food became available in stores and how its popularity developed over the 20th century.
- The advice that existed when I had my first baby and the methods of baby feeding I used.
- Why not introducing solids early on can lead to a picky eater later in life.
- How the research was lacking in the advice that existed even as recently as the 90s.
- Why the first year of feeding your child solid foods is packed with transitions.
- 3 different options for feeding your baby in the first year, the benefits, and how you can educate yourself to carry them out effectively.
Listen to the Show:
Featured on this Episode:
- Join The Nourished Child Facebook page
- Subscribe to this show
- The Nourished Child Project
- The Smart Mom’s Guide to Starting Solids
- Inventing Baby Food by Amy Bentley
- What is Responsive Feeding?
- Getting Enough Iron with BLW
- TNC 046: Born to Eat
- TNC 048: Starting Solids, Flexibly with Natalia Stasenko
- TNC 078: Nutrients for Brain Development
- TNC 005: Baby Nutrients Parents Need to Watch
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, follow on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave us a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!